Berto gets revenge with KO win over Ortiz
Andre Berto evened up the score as he was able to stop Victor Ortiz in four rounds at the Stub Hub Center on a gorgeous Southern California afternoon in what was a rematch of their 2011 Fight of The Year candidate.
Ortiz won the first matchup in 2011 and gave Berto his first career loss, and five years later Berto was able to weather a knockdown in round two to drop Ortiz twice in what was reminiscent of their first pairing; a knockdown trading slugfest.
“I wasn’t hurt by the first knockdown, more mad at myself for getting caught,” said Berto, (31-4, 24KO) who got back in the win column after his September 2015 loss to Floyd Mayweather.
“Once he went down it was over, I knew he was hurt and I went right after him. He couldn’t take my power.
For Ortiz, (31-6-2, 24KO) this represents a fourth loss in six fights and a setback in what the 29 year old former titleholder hoped to be a comeback to the top of the welterweight class.
“I didn’t really lose control. I dropped my hand and he caught me… He is a hard puncher just like myself.”
A head butt had opened a cut on the top of Ortiz’s eye which may have altered the southpaw’s vision, yet Ortiz did not use any excuses when describing the fight and believed that Berto and himself gave the fans another great fight.
“I knew as soon as the head butt happened that it was not good because the blood started pouring. That’s not a big deal. It happens in boxing.”
“This was a history book type of fight. He went down. I went down. Righty vs. lefty. This is boxing.”
About Raymundo Dioses
A life-long fan with a former boxer's namesake. Professional boxing writer on the beat since 2007.
- Over 80,000 tickets sold for Klitschko-Joshua
- Lemieux to face Stevens on March 11
- DeGale, Jack battle to a majority draw
- Davis stuns Pedraza with TKO win
- Canelo-Chavez Jr official for May 6
- Selby to face Barros on Frampton-Santa Cruz undercard
- Inoue retains 115-pound title with TKO win
- Wilder to face Wawrzyk on February 25
- Cotto-Kirkland formally announced for HBO PPV
- Spinks ecstatic about election into ACBHOF