3 More Rounds

Inside the Ropes: GGG, Augustus, Pacquiao’s prediction

Gennady Golovkin

On Saturday night, middleweight titlist Gennady Golovkin will defend his strap against Marco Antonio Rubio, in what is expected to be an all-action affair at the Stub Hub Center in Carson, Calif.

That Golovkin has managed to sell out the Southern California arena is nothing to sneeze at, as even Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., one of Mexico’s most popular attractions, couldn’t even come close to doing so in the largely-Mexican region, when he last fought at Stub Hub.

Golovkin, 32, Kazakhstan, however, has no doubt begun to cross cultural boundaries, as the fighter has continued to grow his fanbase from not just European fans (he’s fought out of Germany), but American and now Latin American cultures.

And though the co-featured bout featuring Nonito Donaire vs. Nicholas Walters is another tasty treat, tickets were largely gone before the fight was even added to the bill.

Surely a large part of Golovkin’s appeal is not only his willingness to take on all-comers, but his come-forward style that not only mixes thumping punches to the head and body, but also some legitimate boxing skills that enables him to hang with any style of fighter.  That he comes in looking for knockouts in order to please the fans, is just the icing on the cake.

Golovkin is must-see TV and as he looks to turn Marco Antonio Rubio into another “good boy,” fans will want to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Floyd Mayweather contemplating fighting on

Photo: Esther Lin / Showtime

Photo: Esther Lin / Showtime

Fresh off of a European tour unrelated to his own in-ring career, Floyd Mayweather recently spoke to Fighthype and revealed that he would consider signing an extension with Showtime to continue fighting after the two fights he has left on his contract.

“Even though I only have two fights left, you know, some days I think about signing a new contract and extending. I’m thinking about it. I’m not 100% sure, but I’m thinking about it,” said Mayweather.

Mayweather completed his fourth (out of six) fight this past September, when he easily outpointed Marcos Maidana in their rematch in Las Vegas.  Despite having some difficulty in their first encounter last May, Mayweather was able to stay poised and make the return out a much easier outing.  Floyd is expected back in the ring in May of 2015, before finishing off his six-fight contract in September.

Pacquiao predicting an early knockout against Algieri

Photo: Chris Farina / Top Rank

Photo: Chris Farina / Top Rank

Manny Pacquiao is coming in as a heavy favorite in his 147-pound title defense against Chris Algieri on Nov. 23, and although he hasn’t scored a knockout win since his 2009 stoppage of Miguel Cotto, Pacquiao (56-5-2, 38 KOs) doesn’t expect the fight to go the full 12 rounds.

“Six rounds will be enough,” Pacquiao said earlier this week. When adding that the fight is a 12-rounder, Pacquiao quipped, “that’s just too long.”

The two will meet on an HBO PPV card at The Venetian Macao in China.

Emanuel Augustus shot in the head; suspect arrested

Emanuel Augustus

Emanuel Augustus, the now retired boxer was shot in the head earlier this week. The 39-year old is currently in critical condition, according to The Advocate Newspaper, but police have now detailed 21-year old Christopher Stills, who they believe was involved in the shooting.

Augustus unfortunately happened to be in the area when the shooting occurred, and was an innocent bystander in the incident.

Leave a Reply