Mayweather leaves the door open for return
Floyd Mayweather made an appearance during the Showtime telecast of the card headlined by Lucian Bute vs. Badou Jack and spoke briefly to Jim Gray.
During the chat, Gray asked Mayweather about what it would take to get him back in the ring.
“If I came back, of course it’d have to be a 9-figure payday and a championship fight,” said a smiling Mayweather.
Floyd admitted that he has been in talks with CBS and Showtime who have offered him a ton of money to get back in the ring, but seemed non-committal about wanting to return. Despite Mayweather going 49-0 with his win over Andre Berto last September, following his win over Manny Pacquiao a few months earlier, most fans and boxing pundits feel that Mayweather could be lured back to fight again in 2017.
Names like Keith Thurman, Shawn Porter, Danny Garcia, and Gennady Golovkin were thrown at Mayweather, stating that Golovkin should move up to fight Andre Ward; essentially saying ‘no way’ to that fight. Garcia seemed like the fighter he would most be open to fighting against but seems content in playing promoter at the moment.
Asked again by Gray if he’d come back for a 9-figure payday or for the chance to go 50-0, Mayweather smiled and said, “Both!”
About Ramon Aranda
Publisher, Editor-in-Chief of 3 More Rounds and a member of the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board.
- Lomanchenko to face Walters on November 26
- Live Stream: Pacquaio-Vargas undercard presser
- Donaire, Valdez, Shiming highlight Pacquiao-Vargas undercard
- Top Rank reveals announce team for Pacquiao-Vargas PPV
- Nietes shuts out Sosa in flyweight debut
- Linares outpoints Crolla in Manchester
- Andy Vences ready for title shot
- Canelo dethrones Smith with knockout
- Canelo, Smith make weight
- Canelo-Smith face to face in Arlington