Burns to defend his title on October 7 in Glasgow
Ricky Burns will be defending his WBA junior welterweight title on October 7, as he’ll take on Kiryl Relikh at the SSE Hydro in Glasgow.
It will be the first title defense of the belt Burns won back in May with an eighth-round TKO over Michele Di Rocco.
â€śMy face at the end of the fight said everything â€“ it meant so much to me that win and prove I still have so much to give,â€ť said Burns regarding the win over Di Rocco. â€śIt was great to be back in Glasgow and I said before I had to win to get those nights back again, not just for me but for the future of Scottish boxing.
â€śI put more pressure on myself in that fight than any other. I took plenty of stick before that as I was apparently finished and on the slide, everyone had written me off and it felt good to prove them wrong.”
Relikh, who is the protĂ©gĂ© of former junior welterweight champ Ricky Hatton, earned his title shot with his three most recent wins, besting Lazaro Santos de Jesus, Christian Ariel Lopez and and Joaquim Carneiro.
â€śRelikh is a very tough fight as a first defense. Heâ€™s got a high KO ratio so he will be very dangerous throughout. Trust me he has my undivided attention and I will have to be at my best to get through this.
According to Matchroom Boxing, the card will also feature Scotty Cardle facing off against Kevin Hooper, Charlie Flynn against Kofi Yates and more. Details on ticket sales will be made available next week.
About Ramon Aranda
Publisher, Editor-in-Chief of 3 More Rounds and a member of the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board.
- Over 80,000 tickets sold for Klitschko-Joshua
- Lemieux to face Stevens on March 11
- DeGale, Jack battle to a majority draw
- Davis stuns Pedraza with TKO win
- Canelo-Chavez Jr official for May 6
- Selby to face Barros on Frampton-Santa Cruz undercard
- Inoue retains 115-pound title with TKO win
- Wilder to face Wawrzyk on February 25
- Cotto-Kirkland formally announced for HBO PPV
- Spinks ecstatic about election into ACBHOF