Is this truly Mayweather’s last fight?
- Updated: September 9, 2015
Floyd Mayweather has insisted over and over again that September 12, 2015 will be the last time he ever laces up a pair of gloves in a professional boxing match.
Nevertheless, there are few who actually believe the Las Vegas native and there seems to be too much money on the table for Money to continue his career into 2016.
It’s no secret that there is a new 20,000 plus seat arena being erected in Las Vegas, a joint venture in which Mayweather is partially involved, and some suspect the 19 year veteran will opt to either rematch Manny ‘Pac Man’ Pacquiao, or offer rematches to the winner of the Canelo Alvarez/Miguel Cotto match set for November as the opening act in the new building.
Mayweather is sticking to his guns, repeating over and over again that he won’t fight heading into 2016, even when the above mentioned scenario is brought up.
Asked recently about potentially fighting the winner of Cotto-Alvarez in 2016, Mayweather seemed uninterested.
“You should know what I’ve done to Canelo, Pacquiao, and Cotto. So I’m through with them, why would I fight them in my 50th fight?” said Mayweather during a conference call last week. “49 is my last fight.”
Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe also chimed in on Floyd’s decision to end his career after Saturday night.
“Like I’ve said and Floyd has said a number of times, this will be his last fight. Why can’t a man go out when he’s had an illustrious career, accomplished everything that he needs to accomplish and be done? And he’s done it his way.”
Should Mayweather walk away, he says he has plans for the music business.
“Well we’ve got The Money Team music group. I’ve also been working for years on concert promotions. The Mayweather Music Group, we have several different artists that we’re working with,” said Mayweather.
“We’ve got the Bad Medina makeup line. She is working on four or five different clothing stores. She already has one. She’s got the “Bad” Medina makeup line. We’re also working on my shoe line. Also watching my kids go through college. I think their school is very important.”
Uncle Roger’s ongoing battle with diabetes has become more of a subject his nephew begins to wind down his career, in which Roger Mayweather had played a significant role as head trainer for a majority of Mayweather Jr.’s fights.
The subject was chronicled in episode 2 of Showtime’s All Access series.
“…no one is in my shoes. My health is more important. If you stick around anything too long, anything can happen. I’m not really worried about losing, but I want to have a sharp mind. You can make a lot of money, but you still want to be able to talk, walk, and have a sharp mind.”
CEO Ellerbe even revealed a stint on the silver screen may lay ahead for the undefeated fighter.
“Let me touch on this. Just over the last week I received three major movie offers. So we fully expect that Floyd could be heavily involved in the entertainment industry because this is what he does. As I said, I know for a fact that with the significant entertainment offers coming our way that it’s definitely something that is going to occupy a lot of his time.”
When asked what he will miss about the sport after fight No. 49, Mayweather reminded the media that he is very much involved in the sport outside of being its best boxer.
“Really I’m still in the sport. I’ve got so many fighters, so there’s nothing that I’m going to really miss about the sport. I have fighters that I’m working with on a daily basis. There’s still going to be the next world champions coming from Mayweather Promotions. We got a lot of fighters. I think J’Leon Love is up next. So we’ll just see how everything plays out.”
Do you think Mayweather will fight in 2016?