Froch Aims for Summer Showdown
- Updated: January 19, 2015
IBF and WBA super middleweight champion Carl Froch originally planned to get his long awaited Las Vegas fight in the spring and was deep in negotiations with Julio Cesar Chavez’s camp to make that a reality. The plans have now been put on hold after the cobra suffered an elbow injury. There had been talk this week that the Nottingham man was ready to hang up his gloves after he posted a cryptic Tweet of a pair of boxing gloves hanging up. However it seems the injury has just delayed his plans a few months.
Talking about his current situation Froch said “I’m disappointed to have to let this opportunity go but at this stage in my career I have to make every fight count, I will get some treatment and then we will look to make this fight or another big fight in the early summer.”
“We have been deep in negotiations for some time and we were almost ready to go,” said promoter Eddie Hearn. “Carl has gone into fights before not 100 per cent fit and paid the price and he has made the right decision to hang fire. We will have a meeting early next week and plan out 2015. I’m confident we will see him back in the ring this summer.”
Froch intends to make a further announcement on his IBF and WBA titles next week.