Golovkin, Canelo allowed to take interim bouts
The WBC today announced that an agreement has been reached between the camps of Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin, that will allow each fighter to take an interim bout before being forced to negotiate a fight between each other.
Per a statement from the WBC, the decision is as follows:
Both Alvarez and Glolovkin shall be entitled to make a voluntary defense of their corresponding championships, so as to maximize the interest on their highly anticipated showdown . A 15 day free negotiation period will be ordered on the earlier of the completion of the voluntary defense or May 31, 2016 . If there is no agreement a purse bid will be conducted under the WBC rules and regulations . If after their corresponding voluntary defenses one boxer is unable to fight the other for the undisputed WBC Middleweight Championship of the world, the unable fighter will lose his status as champion or interim champion. The fighter able to fight will be named undisputed WBC World Champion.
In laymen’s terms, it means they can each make a voluntary title defense from now until the end of May, at which point they will then have to start negotiating for a fall date, otherwise anyone who backs out will lose their championship status.
While the agreement at least keeps things goings, fight fans shouldn’t get too excited just yet as this doesn’t exactly guarantee they’ll fight next year anyway, if one or both decide they’d rather dump the title and go elsewhere.
About Ramon Aranda
Publisher, Editor-in-Chief of 3 More Rounds and a member of the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board.
- Over 80,000 tickets sold for Klitschko-Joshua
- Lemieux to face Stevens on March 11
- DeGale, Jack battle to a majority draw
- Davis stuns Pedraza with TKO win
- Canelo-Chavez Jr official for May 6
- Selby to face Barros on Frampton-Santa Cruz undercard
- Inoue retains 115-pound title with TKO win
- Wilder to face Wawrzyk on February 25
- Cotto-Kirkland formally announced for HBO PPV
- Spinks ecstatic about election into ACBHOF