Klitschko to defend against Pulev in September
- Updated: June 20, 2014
Heavyweight champ Wladimir Klitschko’s next title defense will come on Sep. 6, when he faces Kubrat Pulev at the O2 World Hamburg in Germany.
Klitschko is coming off of a knockout win over Alex Leapai in April and appears to be sticking to his two-fights-a-year schedule.
Pulev (20-0, 11 KOs), 33, earned the shot with a decision win over Tony Thompson last year and was named the mandatory challenger by the IBF.
“I will get the titles. I am ready to replace Wladimir Klitschko as the world champion,” said Pulev. “This fight is the highlight of my career. I will show the fans worldwide that Klitschko is no invincible machine and fulfill my dream. I have worked hard for this chance.“
Klitschko (62-3, 53 KOs) will be engaging in his 26th title fight and is second only to Joe Louis in that department.
“Kubrat Pulev has an impressive record as an amateur and as well as professional. He has very good skills and I will definitely not underestimate him,” said Klitschko. “I am looking forward boxing in Hamburg. Everybody knows I have a special relationship to this city and the atmosphere in the o2 World has always been unbelievable.”
Tickets for the fight go on sale on June 25th.