Kovalev to remain with HBO
- Updated: May 22, 2015
Sergey Kovalev is set to defend his light heavyweight titles on July 25, when he takes on Nadjib Mohammedi at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas but says he’s not finished collecting titles.
“I am sure it is going to be very interesting fight. Why? Because Nadjib has very good and big motivation to be champion and my desire is to get my four titles. I think that will happen this year, that I fight a unified fight. Fight against Nadjib is for me next step. I am not going to say that I will, I will and I will, is words of trash talkers. I am going to show what I can in the ring,” said Kovalev at their press conference this week.
“I am not finished of my collection of all of my belts. I shoot and I must to get one more, WBC title. Just give me opportunity to fight against WBC champion. I don’t care whether it be Adonis Stevenson or another guy. I don’t care.”
During the presser, Kathy Duva, CEO of Main Events, also announced that Kovalev has resigned his TV deal with HBO and the hope is to remain with the network until his career is over.
“Less than two years ago Sergey Kovalev was a struggling fighter trying to make a name for himself. Since then he has fought on HBO six times. He is about to go into his seventh fight on HBO…today I get to proudly announce that Sergey Kovalev gets to remain with HBO, the company that has taken him this far. It is his intention and our intention to remain with HBO for the rest of his career, if that is possible. This is the company that has led boxing for the last 30 odd years in this country. It is unquestionably the #1 boxing network in the world. It is the place to be if you want to have a high-profile career in this sport and maintain it for a long time,” said Duva.