3 More Rounds

Agreement reached for Kovalev-Pascal in 2015

Photo: Hoganphotos / GBP

Photo: Hoganphotos / GBP

Light heavyweight champ Sergey Kovalev has agreed to take on former 175-pound titlist Jean Pascal on March 14, 2015, though it is contingent on Pascal winning his upcoming bout on December 6.

Kovalev (26-0-1, 23 KOs) is coming off of his biggest win to date, a unanimous decision win over Bernard Hopkins, while Pascal (29-2-1, 17 KOs) will be facing Roberto Bolonti.

“Sergey has made it very clear since the moment we signed him that he only wants to fight the best fighters,” said Main Events CEO Kathy Duva, who promotes Kovalev. “I promised after his demolition of Bernard Hopkins that the next one would be for the money. I’m thrilled to work with Interbox to bring boxing fans the Krusher versus Jean Pascal, which delivers on both fronts! The truth is that these fights are easy to make when both fighters want to be in the big fights and the promoters and managers are willing to be reasonable and work together.”

Should Pascal win his next fight, the IBF will also need to grant Kovalev a special exception to postpone his mandatory IBF title defense against Nadjib Mohammedi.  Should things fall in to place, the fight would be televised on HBO and would emanate from either Quebec City or Montreal.

Duva will be ringside at Pascal’s fight with Bolonti in Montreal as a guest to Pascal’s promoter Jean Bédard.

“The negotiation with Main Events went quickly and smoothly, so I know we’ll be able to organize a high calibre fight and a great night of boxing. After a pretty mediocre 2014 so far, we’re preparing to offer Québec boxing fans one of the best fights we could make in the entire division,” said Jean Bédard.

One Comment

  1. Blackonyx66

    December 2, 2014 at 5:40 pm

    Kovalev will KO him in less then six rounds.

Leave a Reply