Anthony Crolla optimistic about returning this year
- Updated: January 15, 2015
Anthony Crolla, who suffered a fractured skull and ankle during a chase of two burglars near his neighbor’s home, is said to be recovering and hopeful of a return this summer.
Crolla was supposed to have taken on WBA lightweight titlist Richar Abril on January 23, but was forced to withdraw from the fight after sustaining his injuries.
“At first we were aiming for July, then we cut it back to June – I honestly think I can be ready for May, late May,” said Crolla. “We’ll see. I really believe that. Because I’ve gone through this and suffered this bit of heartache, I’ll be even more focused than before.”
The Mancunian grew confident of a return after a visit to the gym earlier this month.
“The gym is like a family and we’re all there for each other,” said Crolla. “The boys rallied round me when they heard and that support is massive. Without doubt I will be back in the ring and I will be gunning for another World title shot and looking to win it for all the people that have helped me since the attack.”
“It takes a special person to do what he did,” added stablemate Stephen Smith. “A lot of people would have hid behind the curtains and called the police, but that’s not the kind of guy Anthony is. I want to see him boxing again and having him back in the gym was a great sight for all the boys.”