Canelo vacates WBC title
Canelo Alvarez, who is coming off of a knockout win over Amir Khan, has vacated his WBC middleweight title.
Alvarez (47-1-1, 33 KOs) released a statement today to explain his decision.
“After much consideration, today, I instructed my team at Golden Boy Promotions to continue negotiating a fight with Gennady ‘GGG’ Golovkin and to finalize a deal as quickly as possible. I also informed the WBC that I will vacate its title.
For the entirety of my career, I have taken the fights that no one wanted because I fear no man. Never has that been more true than today. I will fight ‘GGG,’ and I will beat ‘GGG’ but I will not be forced into the ring by artificial deadlines.
I am hopeful that by putting aside this ticking clock, the two teams can now negotiate this fight, and ‘GGG’ and I can get in the ring as soon as possible and give the fans the fight they want to see.”
Golovkin, who holds the interim WBC title, was due to receive his mandatory title shot against Canelo next, but with Canelo no longer the organization’s titleholder, the belt now goes to Golovin, per the WBC’s rules.
“The World Boxing Council has received official confirmation from Golden Boy Promotions with Saul “Canelo” Alvarez decision to vacate the WBC middleweight championship,” said the WBC in their own statement shortly after.
“Gennady Golovkin is hereby recognized as the undisputed WBC middleweight champion of the world.
The WBC wishes “Canelo” Alvarez great success in his career and will certainly look forward to see Golovkin vs Alvarez materialize in the future.”
It had been made very clear by the WBC that if Alvarez did not face Golovkin next, it would strip Canelo of his title, though Oscar De La Hoya, states that his fighter only vacated the belt in order to avoid the mandated deadline.
“There is no denying that Canelo is the biggest star in the sport of boxing. He is eager to get in the ring with ‘GGG’ to show the world that he is also the best pound for pound fighter in the sport, but we won’t negotiate under a forced deadline,” said De La Hoya.
“Now that the WBC title is off the table, I am hopeful that ‘GGG’ and his promoter K2 Promotions will come to the table in good faith and get this deal done.”
Ironically, should the fight get made, the WBC belt could still be on the line now that Golovkin is the recognized titlist.
About Ramon Aranda
Publisher, Editor-in-Chief of 3 More Rounds and a member of the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board.
- LIVE STREAM: Pacquaio-Vargas undercard presser
- Donaire, Valdez, Shiming highlight Pacquiao-Vargas undercard
- Top Rank reveals announce team for Pacquiao-Vargas PPV
- Nietes shuts out Sosa in flyweight debut
- Linares outpoints Crolla in Manchester
- Andy Vences ready for title shot
- Canelo dethrones Smith with knockout
- Canelo, Smith make weight
- Canelo-Smith face to face in Arlington
- Pacquiao, Vargas vow to bring action on Nov. 5