Canelo vs Khan set for May 7
Amir Khan has been on a quest to seek a mega-fight with stars like Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao in recent years.
It’s not Mayweather or Pacquaio but Khan will be facing perhaps the current most popular boxer in the world in Canelo Alvarez.
Golden Boy Promotions announced the matchup through a press release sent out this morning.
Alvarez (46-1-1, 32 KO) is coming off a unanimous decision win over Miguel Cotto that took place in Las Vegas last November.
“As the middleweight champion of the world, I will take on the best fighters in the sport and on Cinco De Mayo weekend, I look forward to making the first defense of my titles,” Alvarez said. “Amir was a decorated amateur, a two-time world champion and is in the prime of his career. Fans are in for a great fight on May 7.”
The fight will take place at a mutually negotiated catch-weight of 155 pounds, a weight that Canelo has set for his previous four fights.
Khan (31-3, 19 KO) last fought in May of 2015, when he earned a unanimous decision over Chris Algieri.
“I know Canelo fights the best and wouldn’t pass up the opportunity to face me like others have,” Khan said. “My goal is to always fight the biggest names and the best fighters that is why I’m excited for this fight. Also, I would like to thank my team and Golden Boy Promotions for this opportunity. I know I have the speed and ability to beat him and will give my fans what they deserve on May 7.”
While there is no official word on the location of the Canelo-Khan card, the fight is being rumored to take place at the new T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. This would be the first boxing card held at the arena.
About Martin Gallegos
- Lomanchenko to face Walters on November 26
- Live Stream: Pacquaio-Vargas undercard presser
- Donaire, Valdez, Shiming highlight Pacquiao-Vargas undercard
- Top Rank reveals announce team for Pacquiao-Vargas PPV
- Nietes shuts out Sosa in flyweight debut
- Linares outpoints Crolla in Manchester
- Andy Vences ready for title shot
- Canelo dethrones Smith with knockout
- Canelo, Smith make weight
- Canelo-Smith face to face in Arlington