Diaz to face Velez on Ward-Barrera card
2012 Olympian Joseph Diaz Jr. (19-0, 11 KOs) will put his unbeaten streak on the line against Jayson Velez on March 26, as the co-feature of the HBO telecast of Andre Ward vs. Sullivan Barrera in Oakland.
Diaz-Velez will be a 10-round featherweight bout, and will open up the broadcast at 9:45 p.m. ET/PT.
“I am excited and very grateful about making my debut on HBO” said Diaz. “HBO is known for putting on the best fights and I feel honored to defend my title for the fight time on the network. Every fighter dreams to fight on a big stage like HBO and I am grateful to my team, Golden Boy Promotions, my manager Ralph Heredia and my father and trainer for helping me get to this point in my career. I know Jayson Velez is a very tough contender, but I promise not to let my team and my fans down.”
Tickets for the card are now on sale.
About Ramon Aranda
Publisher, Editor-in-Chief of 3 More Rounds and a member of the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board.
- Lomachenko schools Walters; makes him quit
- Luis Ortiz returns on December 10 in Manchester
- Ward survives knockdown; dethrones Kovalev
- Garcia stops Vargas in seven
- Oleksandr Usyk fighting on Hopkins-Smith undercard
- Andy Vences: Championship Victory BEHIND THE SCENES
- Ringstar signs Carlos and Jose Balderas
- Pacquiao shows he’s a level above in win over Vargas
- Andy Vences captures his first championship
- Andre Ward views Kovalev fight as 50-50