Fury-Klitschko rematch postponed
- Updated: June 24, 2016
The previously scheduled rematch between Tyson Fury and Wladimir Klitschko has been postponed, after Fury came down with an ankle injury in training camp.
“About 10 days ago, I was running up in the Lake District and I went over my ankle, sprained my ankle. I’ve been to the hospital and had X-rays and MRI scans and all that stuff. They say it’s not broken but it’s badly sprained. Keep off it for 6-7 weeks. I tried to still train a bit. I had a second opinion a week later and I got the same advice. So the fight will be postponed,” said Fury in a video on his Instagram page.
Fury was to defend his heavyweight title against Klitschko on July 9 in Manchester Arena and a new date has not been announced yet.
“Of course, I am currently totally disappointed about the cancellation,” said Klitschko. “As well as for my fans, I´m very sorry, they were all very excited for this rematch. But one thing is also clear: This just means I’ll get my belt a few weeks later.”
According to a spokesperson from Klitschko Management Group, all tickets will remain valid, pending a final decision on the venue for the new date.