Klitschko, Fury meet in Manchester
Earlier today in Manchester, England, heavyweight champ Tyson Fury and the former king Wladimir Klistchko, met at their press conference to formally announce their July 9 rematch.
Fury upset Klitschko last November in Düsseldorf, Germany, ending Klitschko’s lengthy reign as heavyweight champion.
“I’ve been going through a lot of emotions in the past months. One thing that I can confirm, I made a mistake and that mistake cost me the titles,” acknowledged Klitschko. “Of course, it’s not easy to fight a challenger with the great skills that Fury has.”
“I won’t waste my words here. I will knock Tyson Fury out. I will feel great walking into the ring in this arena.”
Fury, was of course boastful as usual, appearing confident and excited about facing Klitschko again.
“Seems that Wladimir has found his bullets. He got beat the first time fair and square and he can make all excuses.”
Asked about Klitschko’s age, Fury added, “Larry Holmes could not change his style at 36 when he lost his title to Spinks. If the great Larry Holmes can’t do it, the great Klitschko can’t do it. You can’t teach an old dog new tricks.”
The two will now head to Cologne, Germany for the second leg of their promotional tour.
About Ramon Aranda
Publisher, Editor-in-Chief of 3 More Rounds and a member of the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board.
- LIVE STREAM: Pacquaio-Vargas undercard presser
- Donaire, Valdez, Shiming highlight Pacquiao-Vargas undercard
- Top Rank reveals announce team for Pacquiao-Vargas PPV
- Nietes shuts out Sosa in flyweight debut
- Linares outpoints Crolla in Manchester
- Andy Vences ready for title shot
- Canelo dethrones Smith with knockout
- Canelo, Smith make weight
- Canelo-Smith face to face in Arlington
- Pacquiao, Vargas vow to bring action on Nov. 5