Kovalev defending against Caparello on Aug. 2
- Updated: June 14, 2014
Sergey Kovalev (24-0-1, 22 KOs), will be back in the ring on Aug. 2 as hell be defending his WBO light heavyweight title against Blake Caparello (19-0-1, 6 KOs) at the Revel Casino Hotel in Atlantic City.
Kovalev was previously in the ring in March, when he knocked out Cedric Agnew in the second defense of his title.
“I am happy to be back in the ring on August 2nd and thanks to HBO for offering us the date. Looking forward to face an unbeaten fighter, I know he will be coming to fight and to take my title away, but it belongs to me and I won’t let that happen,” said Kovalev. “I already started my preparation for this bout and will be ready in good condition when time comes to step into ring.”
Main Events’ CEO Kathy Duva, who promotes Kovalev said, “We would love for Sergey to fight all of the marquee names that have been avoiding him but they’re obviously afraid. So kudos to Caparello for stepping up! Sergey really is a fighter first. He just wants to be in the ring all the time, testing himself against the best. We are very grateful for the support we’ve gotten from HBO for Kovalev and our plan for him is to continue to fight the best opponent who’s willing to get in the ring.”
The fight will air live on HBO at 9:45 p.m. ET/PT as part of a split-site tripleheader.