3 More Rounds

Mayweather outpoints Pacquiao in wide decision

Photos: Will Hart / HBO

Photos: Will Hart / HBO

Floyd Mayweather can now legitimately claim that he is the best fighter of this particular era, after he outpointed Manny Pacquiao on Saturday night in Las Vegas to unify the welterweight championship.

Mayweather (48-0, 26 KOs) came out from the onset and looked to establish his straight right hand, which landed frequently throughout the fight.  Pacquiao (57-6-2, 38 KOs), who is generally quite active and willing to get into exchanges, was a bit subdued for the most part, though he had a few opportunities to score points.  In the fourth round, Pacquiao landed a straight left hand that stunned Mayweather, who fell back to the ropes, but Mayweather quickly recovered and round after round, was able to outbox his rival.

Mayweather_Pacquiao2

Late in the fight, Pacquiao attempted to unleash a few combinations while Mayweather laid on the ropes, but Floyd was too elusive and his right hand counters kept Pacquiao at bay.

Easily taking the last few rounds, Mayweather dominated the remainder of the fight and took home the wide unanimous decision with scores of 118-110, 116-112 and 116-112. 3MoreRounds had it 117-110 for Mayweather.

Mayweather-Pacquiao

“He’s [Manny Pacquiao] is a hell of a fighter. I take my hat off to him. Now I see why he’s one of the guys that are at the pinnacle of the sport of boxing,” said Mayweather after the fight.

“I knew he was going to push it and win some rounds. He had some moments in the fight, but I kept him on the outside, I was a smart fighter. I wasn’t getting hit with a lot of shots until I sat in the pocket, that’s when he would land a lot of shots.”

Mayweather, who has one fight left on his CBS/Showtime contract, was at first noncommittal about fighting in September, but then stated that he would indeed fight one more time that month.

“I have one more fight. My last fight is in September and then it’s time for me to hang it up. I’m almost 40 years old now. I’ve been in the sport 19 years and have been a champion for 18 years, I’m truly truly blessed,” added Mayweather.

Pacquiao said he felt he won the fight and would take some time off before figuring out what he would do next.

“It was a good fight; I thought I won the fight,” said Pacquiao. “He was moving around too much, it wasn’t easy throwing punches at him. If he would’ve stayed in one place then I could’ve thrown punches.”

6 Comments

1. raffy rosal

May 2, 2015 at 11:00 pm

Mayweather vs usain bolt in september..

• Cliff

May 2, 2015 at 11:41 pm

I agreed that. I can’t work out how he had won the fight. Manny had controlled the fight.

2. raffy rosal

May 2, 2015 at 11:06 pm

Pacquiao may lost the fight but he won the hearts of the boxing fans..he never back-off..he tried to give the fans an exciting fight but that how it is,,,mayweather already connected a rocket and brand new tires to make sure he could run fast…

3. Bob Bradley

May 2, 2015 at 11:26 pm

Pacquiao, displaying trademark Pacquiao/Roach hubris, claimed the win. He, knowing far better than anyone else, that he got hit far more than he scored..let alone threw. Not to say that the fight was satisfying. Then, how could it be, given the ludicrous hyperbole used to promote it. However, once again, it’s we the public at blame. We stand by as CEOs make, not earn, 300 times what their workers make. Corporations spend $300,000 per ringside seat, with the money they make charging the public usurious prices for their products and services..getting away with it, because we elect corrupt legislators who cater to them for seven and eight figure retirement jobs. So, when do we rise and count them out?

4. Cliff

May 2, 2015 at 11:39 pm

Nop! This fight doesn’t make him best boxer. Manny controlled the fight but Floyd won by Marathon run. Commentators and ESPN are bias. They are very much Floyd’s peoples. The fight was boring. The fight was not decisive fight as what US commentators and ESPN said. Floyd advantage on high and hand reach but his jabs didn’t hit Manny most of Jabs were hit on gloves and no landed. I’m not entirely convinced Floyd has won by unanimous decision. The fight scores must be closer than what judges have given to Floyd. Anyway, the fight was boring by Floyd running.

5. Eleuterio

May 3, 2015 at 1:41 am

I can’t believe the CompuBox stat that Floyd have more punches than Pacquiao. I thought from what I’ve seen that Pacquiao landed more punches. If there is a rematch, international judges outside USA and ref should be taken to be fair for all. The only chance that Pacquio could win in this environment is to knock out Floyd which he did not.