Molina stuns Provodnikov via unanimous decision
In a fight where many felt Ruslan Provodnikov (25-4, 18 KOs) would dominate, John Molina Jr. (28-6, 23 KOs) instead pulled off the unlikely win by earning a unanimous decision on Saturday night.
Provodnikov was aggressive early on as he stalked Molina, who was more than willing to stay close and slug it out. ¬†Neither fighter implemented much defense and instead tried to impose their will on the other. Though it seemed Provodnikov was landing the bigger shots, Molina was going to the body and began finding plenty of success by throwing one-twos in succession.
With Molina establishing control of the action,¬†Provodnikov continued coming forward, willing to take a punch to land his own. ¬†Despite a slowdown in the action in the 11th round, the two traded power punches in the final round in hopes of leaving no doubts as to who deserved the win.
In the end, it was Molina who scored the win with scores of 116-112, 117-111 and 115-113.
About Ramon Aranda
Publisher, Editor-in-Chief of 3 More Rounds and a member of the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board.
- Lomachenko schools Walters; makes him quit
- Luis Ortiz returns on December 10 in Manchester
- Ward survives knockdown; dethrones Kovalev
- Garcia stops Vargas in seven
- Oleksandr Usyk fighting on Hopkins-Smith undercard
- Andy Vences: Championship Victory BEHIND THE SCENES
- Ringstar signs Carlos and Jose Balderas
- Pacquiao shows he’s a level above in win over Vargas
- Andy Vences captures his first championship
- Andre Ward views Kovalev fight as 50-50