Molina stuns Provodnikov via unanimous decision
In a fight where many felt Ruslan Provodnikov (25-4, 18 KOs) would dominate, John Molina Jr. (28-6, 23 KOs) instead pulled off the unlikely win by earning a unanimous decision on Saturday night.
Provodnikov was aggressive early on as he stalked Molina, who was more than willing to stay close and slug it out. ¬†Neither fighter implemented much defense and instead tried to impose their will on the other. Though it seemed Provodnikov was landing the bigger shots, Molina was going to the body and began finding plenty of success by throwing one-twos in succession.
With Molina establishing control of the action,¬†Provodnikov continued coming forward, willing to take a punch to land his own. ¬†Despite a slowdown in the action in the 11th round, the two traded power punches in the final round in hopes of leaving no doubts as to who deserved the win.
In the end, it was Molina who scored the win with scores of 116-112, 117-111 and 115-113.
About Ramon Aranda
Publisher, Editor-in-Chief of 3 More Rounds and a member of the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board.
- Lomanchenko to face Walters on November 26
- Live Stream: Pacquaio-Vargas undercard presser
- Donaire, Valdez, Shiming highlight Pacquiao-Vargas undercard
- Top Rank reveals announce team for Pacquiao-Vargas PPV
- Nietes shuts out Sosa in flyweight debut
- Linares outpoints Crolla in Manchester
- Andy Vences ready for title shot
- Canelo dethrones Smith with knockout
- Canelo, Smith make weight
- Canelo-Smith face to face in Arlington