Off-TV Results from Oakland
- Updated: June 20, 2015
Here is a recap of the non-televised undercard matches from the Andre Ward-Paul Smith bout on Saturday night in Oakland, CA:
* Mongolian upstart Meng Fanlong utilized rapid-fire combos to score a 2nd round TKO against the overmatched challenge of Stockton’s Albert Avina in a cruiserweight contest. Ageless referee Lou Moret waved off the bout as Fanlong unloaded hooks and crosses from his lefty stance to earn his 2nd pro victory.
* Chinese 140-lb contender Wang Zhimin ran his record to 10-1 with a first round demolition of Jose Luis Guzman of the Bronx. The first KD came off of a thunderbolt left hook downstairs, while a perfect right uppercut sealed the deal at the end of the stanza.
* Super middleweight prospect Aaron Coley got back to his winning ways, notching the tenth win of his career against Yosmani Abreu over 6 tactical and repetitive rounds. The Hayward native used his southpaw jab and right hook to the body to pile up points and pitch a shutout on the cards.
* Daniel “Twitch” Franco of Rancho Cucamonga improved to 11-0-3 with a decision win over Jonathan Alcantara in a better-than-expected featherweight scrap.
* Cuban prospect Luis Arias stopped Tony Brinson in the third round of a spirited super middleweight contest. The repeated left hooks downstairs by Arias ultimately snapped Brinson in half, as the ref halted the match following the third nasty knockdown.