Sergio Martinez will continue fighting
- Updated: July 20, 2014
Word out of Team Sergio Martinez is that the former WBC middleweight champion will continue his career following his June loss to Miguel Cotto.
“Obviously June 7 was a terrible night in the ring for Sergio Martinez,” said Loud DiBella, Martinez’s promoter.
“But he says he can still do it and that he’s totally committed to winning back his title, so I stand behind him. He’s already come back to do great things after a stoppage loss to Antonio Margarito earlier in his career and he’s positive he can do it again. So we’re going to put him in with someone who can get him in line for a title shot and see what he can do. If he doesn’t look to be the same fighter anymore, I will be the first to admit it, but he deserves the chance to prove it was just an off-night in an otherwise stellar career.”
Martinez was coming off a knock down, injury causing and debated decision win over Martin Murray prior to the Cotto bout. After knee surgery and a lengthily ring absence, he took on Cotto at Madison Square Garden in New York and was downed three times in the first round and later stopped in a fight where Cotto was a 2 to 1 underdog.
“He got caught with an unexpected punch and it disconnected his body. It happens in boxing, especially against a puncher like Miguel Cotto. If you look at the tape of the fight, look how slow his hands were. A bad knee doesn’t cause your hands to slow. It was clear it was not the real Sergio in the ring that night.”
No return opponent or date has been set for Martinez’s return.