Spence thrashes Algieri in 5
Errol Spence Jr. (20-0, 17 KOs) made a statement tonight at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn by scoring a fifth-round knockout over former titlist Chris Algieri (21-3, 8 KOs) in the Premier Boxing Champions main event.
Spence scored early on with a sustained body attack that appeared to bother Algieri. In the fourth round, Spence landed a left that sent Algieri down, before getting up at the eight-count.
Then in the fifth round, Spence put Algieri down two more times; the final one coming from a crushing left hook that badly hurt Algieri – the referee immediately waved it off.
Earlier in the night, light heavyweight Marcus Browne (18-0, 13 KOs) received a dubious split decision win over Radivoje Kalajdzic (21-1, 14 KOs) in a battle of unbeatens. Browne was awarded a knockdown early in the fight, which was clearly a slip, that ultimately cost Kalajdzic the fight. In the fourth, Kalajdzic hurt Brown and then finally dropped him in the sixth round, but the judges saw it 76-74, 76-75 (Browne) and 76-74 (Kalajdzic).
About Ramon Aranda
Publisher, Editor-in-Chief of 3 More Rounds and a member of the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board.
- Lomanchenko to face Walters on November 26
- Live Stream: Pacquaio-Vargas undercard presser
- Donaire, Valdez, Shiming highlight Pacquiao-Vargas undercard
- Top Rank reveals announce team for Pacquiao-Vargas PPV
- Nietes shuts out Sosa in flyweight debut
- Linares outpoints Crolla in Manchester
- Andy Vences ready for title shot
- Canelo dethrones Smith with knockout
- Canelo, Smith make weight
- Canelo-Smith face to face in Arlington