Vargas defends against Salido on June 4
HBO will televise another edition of Boxing After Dark on June 4, and the card will be headlined by the junior lightweight title fight between Francisco Vargas and Orlando Salido from the StubHub Center in Carson, California.
Vargas (23-0-1, 17 KOs) is making the first defense of his title, after dethroning Takashi Miura in his previous fight.
“I want to fight the best fighters and Orlando Salido is one of the top fighters in the sport,” said Vargas. “I intend to retain my title and will be prepared to the best of my ability to dominate in the ring and give the fans a fight they will remember. I know it will be a tough fight, Salido brings a lot of experience, but I promise not to disappoint. In the end the fans will win on June 4, they will witness a battle between two Mexican warriors who will give it their all in the ring, it’s a can’t miss event.”
Salido (43-13-3, 30 KOs, 1 NC) of course, is no stranger to title fights and is determined to win another championship.
“I was 12-years-old when I saw my first fight on television,” said Salido. “It was the great Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. and I watched him knockout his opponent and earn the prestigious green and gold belt. It was then that I knew then that’s what I wanted to do, become a world champion boxer just like my idol Julio Cesar Chavez Sr.
Tickets for the card, set to begin at $25, will go on sale on March 11.
About Ramon Aranda
Publisher, Editor-in-Chief of 3 More Rounds and a member of the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board.
- Lomanchenko to face Walters on November 26
- Live Stream: Pacquaio-Vargas undercard presser
- Donaire, Valdez, Shiming highlight Pacquiao-Vargas undercard
- Top Rank reveals announce team for Pacquiao-Vargas PPV
- Nietes shuts out Sosa in flyweight debut
- Linares outpoints Crolla in Manchester
- Andy Vences ready for title shot
- Canelo dethrones Smith with knockout
- Canelo, Smith make weight
- Canelo-Smith face to face in Arlington