Walters gets bogus draw against Sosa
Nicholas Walters (26-0-1, 21 KOs) was hoping to make a splash in his debut at 130-pounds, but the judges had other ideas, as the fight with Jason Sosa (18-1-4, 14 KOs) was declared a majority draw on Saturday night in Verona, New York.
Walters was seemingly in control of the fight from start to finish as he outboxed Sosa and drilled him repeatedly to the body.
Sosa, who kept his hands busy throughout the fight, was mostly sloppy with his punches, but did buzz Walters in the ninth round with a right hand. Though Walters was also a little sloppier than usual, he kept the pressure on Sosa and seemed to dominate every round.
However, the judges somehow saw things differently, scoring the fight 96-94 (Sosa), 95-95 and 95-95.
About Ramon Aranda
Publisher, Editor-in-Chief of 3 More Rounds and a member of the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board.
- Lomachenko schools Walters; makes him quit
- Luis Ortiz returns on December 10 in Manchester
- Ward survives knockdown; dethrones Kovalev
- Garcia stops Vargas in seven
- Oleksandr Usyk fighting on Hopkins-Smith undercard
- Andy Vences: Championship Victory BEHIND THE SCENES
- Ringstar signs Carlos and Jose Balderas
- Pacquiao shows he’s a level above in win over Vargas
- Andy Vences captures his first championship
- Andre Ward views Kovalev fight as 50-50