Walters gets bogus draw against Sosa
Nicholas Walters (26-0-1, 21 KOs) was hoping to make a splash in his debut at 130-pounds, but the judges had other ideas, as the fight with Jason Sosa (18-1-4, 14 KOs) was declared a majority draw on Saturday night in Verona, New York.
Walters was seemingly in control of the fight from start to finish as he outboxed Sosa and drilled him repeatedly to the body.
Sosa, who kept his hands busy throughout the fight, was mostly sloppy with his punches, but did buzz Walters in the ninth round with a right hand. Though Walters was also a little sloppier than usual, he kept the pressure on Sosa and seemed to dominate every round.
However, the judges somehow saw things differently, scoring the fight 96-94 (Sosa), 95-95 and 95-95.
About Ramon Aranda
Publisher, Editor-in-Chief of 3 More Rounds and a member of the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board.
- Lomanchenko to face Walters on November 26
- Live Stream: Pacquaio-Vargas undercard presser
- Donaire, Valdez, Shiming highlight Pacquiao-Vargas undercard
- Top Rank reveals announce team for Pacquiao-Vargas PPV
- Nietes shuts out Sosa in flyweight debut
- Linares outpoints Crolla in Manchester
- Andy Vences ready for title shot
- Canelo dethrones Smith with knockout
- Canelo, Smith make weight
- Canelo-Smith face to face in Arlington