Ward to face Barrera on March 26
Former super middleweight champ Andre Ward (28-0, 15 KOs) is set to return to the ring on March 26, when he faces Sullivan Barrera (17-0, 12 KOs) in a 12-round light heavyweight fight at Oracle Arena in Oakland. HBO will televise the fight beginning at 9:45 p.m. ET/PT.
Ward, who has a deal in place to face light heavyweight titlist Sergey Kovalev, must of course, win this fight, with Kovalev having won his own title defense last Saturday night, by stopping former champ Jean Pascal in their rematch.
“I don’t really have much to say other than this. On March 26, it will be very simple. I’ll be in a new weight class against a tough opponent but I’m coming with the same approach,” said Ward. “I’ll be in great shape and ready for battle. Sullivan Barrera has had a lot to say lately and I love it. He’s going to have an opportunity to back up every word that he has spoken. These are the type of challenges I like and on March 26, it’s go time.”
Tickets priced at $300, $150, $100, $50 and $25, are on sale now.
“We as a team had a tough choice to make – crash the party by taking out Ward first or wait for the mandatory and take out Kovalev,” said Barrera. “We decided that the time is now. Ward will fall first and then we will go after the belts.”
No further details were provided in regards to the undercard, but additional fights will be announced in the coming weeks.
Ward’s last fight was in June of 2015, when he stopped Paul Smith in Oakland.
About Ramon Aranda
Publisher, Editor-in-Chief of 3 More Rounds and a member of the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board.
- Donaire, Valdez, Shiming highlight Pacquiao-Vargas undercard
- Top Rank reveals announce team for Pacquiao-Vargas PPV
- Nietes shuts out Sosa in flyweight debut
- Linares outpoints Crolla in Manchester
- Andy Vences ready for title shot
- Canelo dethrones Smith with knockout
- Canelo, Smith make weight
- Canelo-Smith face to face in Arlington
- Pacquiao, Vargas vow to bring action on Nov. 5
- Chocolatito edges Cuadras to win another title